Further updates on the Furlough Scheme – 13/11/2020
Last week, we updated you on the situation surrounding the second lockdown of the year, and what this means for employers.
The main points were:
1) The Job Support Scheme is temporarily postponed
2) Furlough (both full and flexible) is extended until March 2021
3) All employers with a UK bank account and UK PAYE scheme can claim the grant
4) Employers do not need to have used the Furlough scheme previously but must meet the eligibility criteria
5) Employees can be furloughed if the are unable to work due to shielding or having caring responsibilities resulting from Coronavirus
6) No wage contribution is needed from the employer when an employee is on full furlough. Employers can choose to top up pay to the amount the employee would normally receive
7) Claims can be made from 08:00 on Wednesday 11 November at 2020
You can read the full blog here.
On the 10th November 2020, the Government released further guidance. This centred on how to claim for periods after 1 November 2020. There is currently a 6-step process to claim for the support which is:
1) Check if you can claim
2) Check which employees you can put on furlough
3) Steps to take before calculating your claim
4) Calculate how much you should claim
5) Claim for your employees’ wages online
6) Report a payment in PAYE Real Time Information (RTI)
To read more about this, click here to be re-directed to the Government website.
30 November 2020 is the final day that employers can submit or change claims for periods ending on or before 31 October 2020.
Clearer guidance for Eligibility
On the 12th November 2020, more guidance around the eligibility criteria for employees was made clearer. This include employees:
1) Who are/have been made redundant on or after 23 September 2020 and the employers have re-employed
2) that have a fixed term contract that expired after 23 September 2020
The dates relating to TUPE eligibility have also been corrected.
You can read more about the eligibility criteria here.
AUTHOR: Grace Williams
I am a Remote HR Consultant for Sue Willmott HR & Careers Consultancy. I am an Associate Member of the CIPD and hold an MA with Distinction in Human Resource Management (Level 7, CIPD).
You can contact me here: